- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1teaspoon finely chopped fresh ginger (from a 1/2-inch piece)
- 1clove garlic, finely chopped
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/3cup tomato paste
- 1/4teaspoon ground cumin
- 1teaspoon sugar
- 2tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2pounds cooked peeled and deveined large shrimp
- Heat the oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallot, mustard seeds, ginger, garlic, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the shallot is soft, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and cumin to the saucepan and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the sugar and ½ cup water and stir to combine. Transfer to a small bowl and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour. Fold in the cilantro and serve with the shrimp.