andouille sausage (or kielbasa), sliced 1/4 inch thick
medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
14.5-ounce can low-sodium chicken broth
saffron threads, crumbled
long-grain white rice
medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
kosher salt and black pepper
sprigs fresh cilantro (optional)
- Heat the oil in a wok or large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and brown on both sides, about 5 minutes total.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Spoon off and discard all but 1 tablespoon of the fat.
- Add the wine and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the broth, saffron, and rice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir the shrimp and peas into the rice, cover, and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Season with ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper.
- Spoon onto plates and add the cilantro (if desired).