- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4pound shelled medium shrimp
- 1pound ham (preferably smoked), cubed
- 1pound kielbasa, andouille, or chorizo sausage, sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large celery stalks, diced
- 1 green or red bell pepper, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 1/2cups long-grain rice
- 1 16-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 4cups chicken broth
- 1teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2cup chopped fresh parsley
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy stockpot over high heat and add the shrimp. Cook, stirring constantly, until the shrimp curl and just begin to brown, about 3 minutes. Remove the shrimp with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the ham and sausage to the stockpot and cook, stirring frequently, until both are well browned, about 15 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add the garlic, celery, bell pepper, and onion. Cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in the rice, tomatoes, broth, salt, cayenne pepper, and half the parsley.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 20 minutes or until the liquid is almost absorbed. Stir in the shrimp and the remaining parsley. Cover and cook until all the liquid is absorbed, 3 to 5 minutes more.