Shredded Pork Tacos
Serves 8| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 pounds pork shoulder or butt, trimmed and cut into 3-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 16 6-inch corn tortillas
- sour cream, salsa, sliced radishes, cilantro leaves, and lime wedges, for serving
- Heat the oil in a 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season the pork with the oregano, cumin, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon black pepper. Add the pork to the Dutch oven and cook, turning, until brown on all sides, 6 to 8 minutes; transfer to a plate.
- Add the onion, garlic, and cayenne to the Dutch oven and cook, stirring, until the onion is softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Return the pork to the Dutch oven and add the broth. Bring to a simmer and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until the pork is very tender and shreds easily, 1½ to 1¾ hours.
- Transfer the pork to a medium bowl and, using 2 forks, shred the meat; return it to the Dutch oven and stir into the cooking liquid. (Alternatively, the pork can be made in a slow cooker: Combine the pork, oregano, cumin, ¾ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper, onion, garlic, and cayenne in a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker. Add ½ cup broth and cook until very tender, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours.)
- Twenty minutes before serving, heat oven to 350° F. Wrap the tortillas in foil and bake until warm, 12 to 15 minutes. Serve the pork with the tortillas, sour cream, salsa, radishes, cilantro, and lime wedges.
- Per Serving
- Calories 466
- Fat 22g
- Sat Fat 7g
- Cholesterol 134mg
- Sodium 327mg
- Protein 40g
- Carbohydrate 27g
- Sugar 2g
- Fiber 5g
- Iron 4mg
- Calcium 110mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .