- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup molasses
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 9-inch basic flaky piecrust, unbaked
- Preheat oven to 350° F. In a food processor, pulse flour, sugar, butter, and salt until crumbly; set aside.
- Whisk together molasses and boiling water; whisk in egg and baking soda.
- Pour the molasses mixture into the piecrust, top with the flour mixture, and bake until the center is set, 40 to 50 minutes. Let cool before serving.