- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes or 1 28-ounce can plum tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives or scallions
- 4 to 6 slices whole-grain bread
- 1/4 pound prosciutto or good-quality ham, thinly sliced
- 8 eggs
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Heat oven to 375° F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the oil, vinegar, tomatoes, and 1 tablespoon of the chives.
- Arrange the bread in a single layer in a 13-by-9-inch ovenproof baking dish. Top with the prosciutto and the tomato mixture.
- Break the eggs on top and drizzle with the cream. Bake until the whites have set but the yolks are slightly runny, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the remaining tablespoon of chives.