Sesame Chicken With Gingery Bok Choy
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 8 small chicken cutlets (1 1/4 pounds total)
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 6 heads baby bok choy (about 1 pound), quartered
- 1 jalapeño (preferably red), sliced (seeded for less heat, if desired)
- In a bowl, whisk the egg whites, sesame seeds, ¼ cup cornstarch, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Dip the chicken in batter and shake off excess.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the chicken.
- Cook until golden brown and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with 1 tablespoon oil and remaining chicken.
- In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, ginger, sugar, 1 tablespoon water, and remaining teaspoon cornstarch.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bok choy and cook, turning, until just starting to soften, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the soy sauce mixture and jalapeño and cook until liquid has thickened slightly and bok choy is tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Serve with the chicken.
- Per Serving
- Calories 434
- Fat 22g
- Sat Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 94mg
- Sodium 831mg
- Protein 41g
- Carbohydrate 15g
- Fiber 2g
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .