Seared Steak With Cauliflower Puree
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 small head cauliflower (about 1 1/2 pounds), cored and cut into florets
- 4 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 strip steaks (1 inch thick; 1 1/2 pounds total)
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup pitted green olives, chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Fill a large saucepan with 1 inch of water and fit it with a steamer basket. Bring the water to a boil.
- Place the cauliflower in the basket, cover, and steam until very tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season the steaks with ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cook 4 to 6 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let rest before slicing.
- While the steaks cook, transfer the drained cauliflower to a food processor. Add 2 tablespoons oil and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Puree until smooth.
- In a bowl, combine the parsley, olives, shallot, vinegar, remaining oil, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Serve with steak and cauliflower.
- Per Serving
- Calories 372
- Fat 23g
- Sat Fat 5g
- Cholesterol 63mg
- Sodium 737mg
- Protein 35g
- Carbohydrate 6g
- Sugar 2g
- Fiber 2g
- Iron 3mg
- Calcium 44mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
For a rich, caramelized sear, take the steaks out of the refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking so they can come to room temperature.