Scallop and Corn Chowder
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 5 slices bacon, cut into small dice
- 1 1/2 pounds sea scallops (about 16), patted dry
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced into half-moons
- 1/2 pound Yukon gold potatoes, peeled (if desired) and cut into a 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh (from 2 ears) or frozen
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, cook the bacon until crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels.
- You should have about 2 tablespoons of bacon drippings; if necessary, supplement with olive oil. Increase heat to medium-high. Season scallops with ¾ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper; cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the onion to the drippings in the skillet and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, wine, broth, and cream; cover partially and reduce heat. Simmer gently until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add the scallops and corn and simmer gently to heat through. Sprinkle with the parsley and bacon.
- Per Serving
- Calories 417.21Calories From Fat 36%
- Calcium 80.44mg
- Carbohydrate 25.87g
- Cholesterol 107.18mg
- Fat 16.9g
- Fiber 2.74g
- Iron 1.54mg
- Protein 35.9mg
- Sat Fat 8.39g
- Sodium 820.88mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .