- 12tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for the dish
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 4cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4teaspoon black pepper
- 2cups flour
- 1tablespoon baking powder
- 1tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1cup whole milk
- Heat oven to 375° F.
- In a skillet, over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add the jalapeño and scallions. Cook for 3 minutes. Add the corn and broth. Increase heat to medium-high and cook for 4 minutes. Turn off heat. Stir in the cream, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and the pepper. Pour into a buttered 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and the remaining salt. Using 2 knives or your fingertips, add the remaining butter, cut into small pieces. Mix until it resembles crumbs. Stir in the thyme and milk. Drop heaping spoonfuls of the batter on top of the corn mixture. Bake for about 50 minutes. Garnish with fresh thyme, if desired.