Sautéed Escarole With Leeks
Serves 8| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 leeks (white and light green parts), cut into half-moons
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 heads escarole, torn into 3-inch pieces (about 20 cups)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- kosher salt and black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the leeks and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the escarole, red pepper, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper and cook, tossing, until tender and beginning to wilt, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Per Serving
- Calories 111
- Fat 7g
- Sat Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 218mg
- Protein 2g
- Carbohydrate 11g
- Sugar 2g
- Fiber 5g
- Iron 2mg
- Calcium 96mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Leeks can be gritty. To clean them thoroughly, halve the stalks, cut them into pieces, and swish them around in a bowl of cold water a few times. Lift them out with loosely cupped hands, change the water, and repeat until the water is clear.