Sautéed Andouille and Greens With Grits
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 large bunch collard greens, thick stems removed and leaves cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking grits
- 6 ounces extra-sharp white Cheddar, grated (1 1⁄2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 pound andouille sausage, sliced
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- crushed red pepper, for serving
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil; add 2 teaspoons salt. Add the collard greens and cook until just tender, 6 to 8 minutes; drain well.
- Wipe out the saucepan. Add the milk, 2 cups water, and ¼ teaspoon salt and bring to a boil. Whisk in the grits and simmer over low heat, whisking frequently, until soft and creamy, 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the Cheddar and butter.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the sausage over medium heat until brown, 4 to 6 minutes; with a slotted spoon, transfer it to a plate.
- Add the shallots and bell pepper to the drippings in the skillet, season with ¼ teaspoon salt and ⅛ teaspoon black pepper, and cook, tossing occasionally, until beginning to soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the greens and cook, tossing, until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Fold in the sausage. Serve over the grits and sprinkle with the red pepper.
- Per ServingServing Size: Serves 4
- Calories 501
- Fat 28g
- Sat Fat 14g
- Cholesterol 85mg
- Sodium 1225mg
- Protein 27g
- Carbohydrate 41g
- Sugar 3g
- Fiber 7g
- Iron 5mg
- Calcium 589mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .