- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 15.5-ounce cans white beans (such as cannellini, great Northern, or navy), rinsed, or a heaping 1/2 cup dried white beans, soaked and cooked
- 1tablespoon fresh thyme
- 8 small Italian sausages (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/4cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until tender, 10 to 12 minutes; stir in the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes (and their liquid) and break up with a spoon. Add the beans, thyme, and ½ cup water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook, turning occasionally, until browned and cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. Serve the sausage with the beans and sprinkle with the parsley.