- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1pound sweet Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 6tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 loaf country bread, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 8 cups)
- 2cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2cups chopped walnuts
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Heat oven to 350° F. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sausage to a large bowl.
- Add the butter, onions, celery, garlic, sage, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper to the skillet. Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Toss the vegetables, bread, broth, walnuts, eggs, and parsley with the sausage. Transfer to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish and cover with foil. Bake until heated through, 30 to 40 minutes. Uncover and bake until browned, 15 to 20 minutes more.