Sausage, Kale, and Sweet Potato Hash
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 pound sweet Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 pound sweet potatoes (about 2 medium), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bunch kale, thick stems removed and leaves torn into bite-size pieces (about 10 cups)
- 4 large eggs
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until browned and cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes; transfer to a plate.
- Add the onion, sweet potatoes, thyme, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened, 3 to 5 minutes (if the pan becomes too dark, add 2 tablespoons water and continue cooking). Add ½ cup of the broth, cover, and cook until the potatoes are tender, 5 to 7 minutes more.
- Uncover the skillet and add the remaining ½ cup of broth. Add as much kale to the skillet as will fit and cook, tossing frequently and adding more kale when there is room, until the liquid is almost evaporated and the kale is tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Return the sausage to the skillet and toss to combine.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Crack the eggs into the skillet and cook, covered, to the desired doneness, 2 to 4 minutes for slightly runny sunny-side-up eggs. Serve with the hash.
- Per Serving
- Calories 468Calories From Fat 224
- Fat 25g
- Sat Fat 7g
- Cholesterol 237mg
- Sodium 852mg
- Protein 23g
- Carbohydrate 42g
- Sugar 9g
- Fiber 7g
- Iron 5mg
- Calcium 301mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .