- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage links, casings removed and broken into pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 large russet potatoes (about 1 pound)
- 1 small bunch kale, stems discarded and leaves torn (about 7 cups)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup olive oil, plus more for serving
- Combine the sausage, onion, tomatoes and their juices, tomato paste, garlic, 1 cup water, and ¾ teaspoon each salt and pepper in a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker. Nestle the potatoes in the liquid and top with the kale.
- Cover and cook until the potatoes are tender, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours (this will shorten total recipe time). Transfer the potatoes to a medium bowl. Add the milk, oil, and ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper to the bowl and mash.
- Serve the stew topped with the mashed potatoes. Drizzle with more olive oil, if desired.