small onions, cut into wedges
cloves garlic, thinly sliced
dry white wine (such as Sauvignon Blanc)
low-sodium chicken broth
19-ounce can white beans, drained and rinsed
small head escarole, tough stems removed and roughly chopped
crusty bread (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook the sausage, turning occasionally, until browned and cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a cutting board and let rest at least 5 minutes before slicing.
- Add onions to the pan and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute more.
- Add the wine and broth and bring to a boil. Add the beans, escarole, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the escarole wilts, 3 minutes.
- Spoon into bowls and top with the Parmesan. Serve with the sausage and bread, if desired.