- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 2 small onions, cut into wedges
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (such as Sauvignon Blanc)
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 19-ounce can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small head escarole, tough stems removed and roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- crusty bread (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook the sausage, turning occasionally, until browned and cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a cutting board and let rest at least 5 minutes before slicing.
- Add onions to the pan and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute more.
- Add the wine and broth and bring to a boil. Add the beans, escarole, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the escarole wilts, 3 minutes.
- Spoon into bowls and top with the Parmesan. Serve with the sausage and bread, if desired.