Sausage and Chestnut Stuffing
Serves 6-8| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or unsalted butter
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- kosher salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1 day-old baguette, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 8 cups)
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth, warmed
- 3/4 pound Italian sausage
- 1 cup canned chestnuts, chopped
- Heat oven to 400° F.
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, crumbling it with the back of a spoon, until cooked through, about 6 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Wipe out the skillet, add the oil and heat over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until golden brown, about 8 minutes. Add the carrots and celery and cook until soft, about 6 minutes. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 3/4 teaspoon pepper, the parsley, and thyme and cook for 1 minute.
- In a large bowl, combine the bread, vegetables, sausage, chestnuts, and broth. Transfer to a baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes, until heated through.
- Per Serving
- Calories 315Calories From Fat 45%
- Fat 31g
- Sat Fat 9g
- Cholesterol 90mg
- Sodium 990mg
- Carbohydrate 57g
- Fiber 6g
- Sugar 7g
- Protein 31g
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .