Sausage and Chard Sauté With Polenta
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 small Italian sausage links (about 1 1/2 pounds total)
- 1 cup instant polenta
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, stems discarded and leaves cut into 1-inch strips
- kosher salt and black pepper
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the sausage and cook, turning occasionally, until cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes before slicing.
- Cook the polenta according to the package directions.
- Meanwhile, wipe out the skillet and heat the remaining tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Add the Swiss chard, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook, tossing, until wilted, 3 to 4 minutes. Fold in the sliced sausage.
- Serve the sausage and chard mixture over the polenta.
- Per Serving
- Calories 513Calories From Fat 280
- Fat 31g
- Sat Fat 9g
- Cholesterol 49mg
- Sodium 1,510mg
- Protein 22g
- Carbohydrate 36g
- Sugar 2g
- Fiber 4g
- Iron 5mg
- Calcium 77mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
An Italian staple, polenta is coarsely ground yellow or white cornmeal. The instant version cuts cooking time from 45 minutes to 5 or less. In a pinch, you can substitute finely ground cornmeal, though the texture will be slightly different.