Sausage and Apple Stuffing
Serves 8| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for the baking dish
- 4 links sweet Italian sausage, casings removed (about 1 pound)
- 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tart apples (such as Granny Smith or Pink Lady), cored and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh sage
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 large baguette (about 3/4 pound), cut into 3/4-inch pieces (about 7 cups)
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Heat oven to 375° F. Lightly oil a 9-by-13-inch or some other shallow 3-quart baking dish. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sausage to a large bowl.
- To the drippings in the skillet, add the celery, onions, apples, sage, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper. Cook, tossing often, until the vegetables are tender, 7 to 9 minutes.
- Add the vegetable mixture, baguette, broth, and eggs to the sausage and toss to combine. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and cover with foil.
- Bake the stuffing for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake until browned, 20 to 30 minutes more.
- Per Serving
- Calories 284
- Fat 9g
- Sat Fat 3g
- Cholesterol 64mg
- Sodium 846mg
- Protein 16g
- Carbohydrate 35g
- Sugar 7g
- Fiber 3g
- Iron 3mg
- Calcium 43mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .