- 1tablespoon olive oil, plus more for the baking dish
- 4 links sweet Italian sausage, casings removed (about 1 pound)
- 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tart apples (such as Granny Smith or Pink Lady), cored and chopped
- 1/4cup chopped fresh sage
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 large baguette (about 3/4 pound), cut into 3/4-inch pieces (about 7 cups)
- 3cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Heat oven to 375° F. Lightly oil a 9-by-13-inch or some other shallow 3-quart baking dish. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sausage to a large bowl.
- To the drippings in the skillet, add the celery, onions, apples, sage, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper. Cook, tossing often, until the vegetables are tender, 7 to 9 minutes.
- Add the vegetable mixture, baguette, broth, and eggs to the sausage and toss to combine. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and cover with foil.
- Bake the stuffing for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake until browned, 20 to 30 minutes more.