Sausage and Apple Kebabs With Smashed Potatoes and Peas
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 ½ pounds medium potatoes (about 4)
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ⅔ cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 18 ounces fully cooked chicken sausage links or kielbasa (you can find cooked sausage in packages in the meat section of the supermarket)
- 2 apples (preferably Fuji or Braeburn, which hold their shape in the oven)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 8 small wooden skewers
- Soak the skewers in water for 15 minutes. Heat oven to 400° F and line a rimmed baking sheet with foil or parchment.
- Peel and quarter the potatoes and place them in a large pot. Add enough cold water to cover and bring to a boil. Add 1 teaspoon salt, reduce heat, and simmer until tender, 15 to 18 minutes. Add the peas and simmer until heated through, about 1 minute. Drain the potatoes and peas and return them to the pot. Add the milk, butter, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and gently mash.
- While the potatoes are cooking, cut the sausage on the diagonal into 1-inch chunks. Core and cut the apples into chunks.
- Alternately thread the sausage and apple chunks onto the skewers and place on the baking sheet.
- Brush the skewers with 2 tablespoons of the maple syrup and roast for 10 minutes. Brush with the remaining 2 tablespoons of maple syrup and continue to roast until the apples are tender but still hold their shape, 10 to 15 minutes more. Serve with the smashed potatoes and peas.
- Per Serving
- Calories 568
- Fat 18g
- Sat Fat 7g
- Cholesterol 124mg
- Sodium 1,338mg
- Protein 30g
- Carbohydrate 72g
- Sugar 24g
- Fiber 8g
- Iron 3mg
- Calcium 116mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
As with produce, take eggs and milk from the back of the case; older merchandise tends to be pushed forward.