pounds medium potatoes (about 4)
kosher salt and black pepper
fully cooked chicken sausage links or kielbasa (you can find cooked sausage in packages in the meat section of the supermarket)
apples (preferably Fuji or Braeburn, which hold their shape in the oven)
small wooden skewers
- Soak the skewers in water for 15 minutes. Heat oven to 400° F and line a rimmed baking sheet with foil or parchment.
- Peel and quarter the potatoes and place them in a large pot. Add enough cold water to cover and bring to a boil. Add 1 teaspoon salt, reduce heat, and simmer until tender, 15 to 18 minutes. Add the peas and simmer until heated through, about 1 minute. Drain the potatoes and peas and return them to the pot. Add the milk, butter, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and gently mash.
- While the potatoes are cooking, cut the sausage on the diagonal into 1-inch chunks. Core and cut the apples into chunks.
- Alternately thread the sausage and apple chunks onto the skewers and place on the baking sheet.
- Brush the skewers with 2 tablespoons of the maple syrup and roast for 10 minutes. Brush with the remaining 2 tablespoons of maple syrup and continue to roast until the apples are tender but still hold their shape, 10 to 15 minutes more. Serve with the smashed potatoes and peas.