14 3/4-ounce cans red or pink salmon, drained, any skin and large bones removed
dry bread crumbs
large egg, beaten
kosher salt and black pepper
instant brown rice
minced fresh parsley (optional)
extra-virgin olive oil
fresh lemon juice
- In a bowl, combine the salmon, ½ cup bread crumbs, mayonnaise, egg, Worcestershire sauce, capers, tarragon, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Mix together well and form into 12 small patties. Coat the patties in the remaining ¾ cup bread crumbs.
- Cook the rice according to the package directions. When done, remove from heat and leave covered.
- Meanwhile, heat the vegetable oil in a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until the oil is hot but not smoking.
- Sauté the patties in batches for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- Toss the rice with the parsley, olive oil, lemon juice, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Serve with the salmon cakes and lemon quarters.