- 4tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for the dish
- 1/2 loaf rye bread, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 6 cups)
- 1/2 loaf sourdough bread, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 6 cups)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 Granny Smith apples, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/4cup fresh sage, chopped
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Heat oven to 400° F.
- Butter a deep 3-quart casserole dish.
- Place the bread on a rimmed baking sheet and toast until golden, 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onions, celery, and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in the apples and cook for 2 minutes. Add the broth and bring to a boil.
- Add the vegetable mixture, parsley, and sage to the bread and toss to combine. Mix in the eggs. Transfer to the prepared dish and cover loosely with buttered foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until golden, 12 to 15 minutes.