chopped red onion
garlic cloves, minced
pitted kalamata olives (about 12)
anchovy fillets, drained (optional)
crushed red pepper
28-ounce can Italian plum tomatoes with juice
kosher salt and black pepper
- Heat oven to 450° F.
- In a large ovenproof skillet or baking pan over low heat, combine the oil, onion, garlic, olives, anchovies (if desired), crushed red pepper, and oregano.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring, 2 minutes. Remove from heat, pour the tomatoes over the top, and season with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Transfer to oven and roast for 20 minutes until the sauce is hot and bubbly and the onions are soft.
- Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti according to the package directions. Drain.
- Transfer the roasted tomato mixture to a food processor or blender and pulse once or twice (sauce should be chunky). Toss with the spaghetti and parsley.