Makes 3 cups| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 3 pounds plum tomatoes (about 15)
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup kalamata olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped, or 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Heat oven to 425ºF.
- Cut each tomato in half lengthwise. Arrange in a shallow baking dish, cut-side down, with the garlic and crushed red pepper. Bake about 40 minutes or until the garlic is soft and the tomato skins pucker and brown.
- Remove from oven. Peel off the tomato skins and discard. Using the back of a fork, smash the garlic and break up the tomatoes in the baking pan. Blend in the olives, basil, vinegar, and salt.
- Serve over 1 pound of cooked pasta or with grilled fish or chicken.
- Per Serving
- Calories 71
- Calcium 49mg
- Carbohydrate 11g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Fat 3g
- Fiber 4g
- Iron 1mg
- Protein 2mg
- Sat Fat 0g
- Sodium 399mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
When substituting dried herbs for fresh ones, use about a third of the amount called for in the recipe.