- 1pound carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch rounds
- 1/2pound parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch rounds
- 1 yellow onion, quartered
- 5tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt and pepper
- 1/2 baguette, cut into 16 thin slices
- Heat oven to 400° F.
- In a large roasting pan, combine the carrots, parsnips, onion, 3 tablespoons of the oil, 1½ teaspoons salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Spread the vegetables in an even layer and roast, stirring occasionally, until tender and golden brown, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, arrange the bread slices on a baking sheet and brush with the remaining oil. During the last 10 minutes of roasting time, toast the slices until crisp.
- Transfer the vegetables to a blender and purée with 3 cups water, adding more water if necessary, ¼ cup at a time, until smooth. Rewarm in a pot over medium-low heat, if necessary. Divide among individual bowls and serve with the olive oil toast.