Serves 10| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- Heat oven to 325° F. Remove the giblets and neck from the turkey's cavity. Put the stuffing into the bird's center and neck cavities; do not pack. Spoon any extra stuffing into a lightly greased casserole; cover and refrigerate.
- Tuck the turkey's wings under the back to secure the neck flap. Tie the legs together. Rub the turkey with the olive oil, then sprinkle with the chili powder, salt, and pepper. Place on a rack in an open roasting pan.
- Roast 3 1/2 to 4 hours (or 20 minutes per pound). Cover the turkey with a tent made of foil after 1 1/2 hours or when the skin reaches a rich, brown color. Place the covered casserole of extra stuffing in the oven with the turkey about 40 minutes before the turkey is done.
- Test the turkey for doneness with a meat thermometer. It should read 180° F in the thickest part of the thigh and 170° F in the breast. Let rest at least 10 minutes before carving.
- TO FAKE IT...AND SAVE 2 1/2 HOURS:
Heat oven to 325° F. Rub a 4- to 6-pound turkey breast with 1 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle it generously with some chili powder, salt, and pepper. Place in an open roasting pan and cook 1 1/2 to 2 1/4 hours (or 20 minutes per pound) or until a meat thermometer inserted in the breast registers 170° F. Let rest 10 minutes before carving. Total time: 2 hours.
- Per Serving
- Calories 552
- Calcium 68mg
- Carbohydrate 0g
- Cholesterol 245mg
- Fat 27g
- Fiber 0g
- Iron 5mg
- Protein 72mg
- Sat Fat 7g
- Sodium 178mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .