- 1 5 1/2-pound chicken
- 1tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 small lemons, halved
- 1 cup fresh herbs (parsley, tarragon, thyme, rosemary, or sage, in any combination), stemmed
- 3tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 medium onions, peeled, halved, and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into 3-inch-long pieces
- Oven Fries
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Season the inside of the chicken with 1 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Fill the inside with the lemons and herbs and rub the outside with the softened butter. Season with the remaining salt and pepper.
- Place the onions and carrots evenly over the bottom of a roasting pan large enough to hold the chicken comfortably. Place the chicken on top of the vegetables and roast for 1 1/2 hours or until the juices run clear when a thigh is pierced. Let the chicken rest on a carving board for about 15 minutes before carving.
- Remove the onions and carrots from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside. Skim off excess fat from the pan juices with a large spoon. Place the roasting pan over medium heat and reduce the pan juices until slightly thickened. Serve the chicken with the carrots, onions, pan juices, and Oven Fries.