Risotto With Radicchio
Serves 6| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups Arborio rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 head radicchio, cut into 12 wedges
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano (optional)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated Parmesan
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- Heat the butter and 1 tablespoon of the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion; cook 5 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add the wine and cook, stirring frequently, until absorbed. Add the broth, ½ cup at a time, stirring occasionally and waiting until it’s absorbed before adding more. This should take about 30 minutes. The rice should be tender but still slightly firm.
- Meanwhile, about 5 minutes before the risotto is done, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the radicchio and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the radicchio is browned and slightly wilted, about 5 minutes. Add the oregano (if desired), vinegar, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Transfer to a plate.
- Remove the risotto from heat and stir in the Parmesan, remaining salt, and pepper. Cover to keep warm.
- Wipe out the skillet, return to medium heat, and heat the remaining oil. Add the bread crumbs and cook until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Spoon the risotto into individual bowls and top with the radicchio and bread crumbs.
- Per Serving
- Calories 739Calories From Fat 28%
- Fat 23g
- Sat Fat 4g
- Cholesterol 15mg
- Sodium 1,005mg
- Carbohydrate 101g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugar 3g
- Protein 22g
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .