small yellow onion, finely chopped
dry white wine
low-sodium chicken broth
head radicchio, cut into 12 wedges
clove garlic, thinly sliced
fresh oregano (optional)
(4 ounces) grated Parmesan
dry bread crumbs
- Heat the butter and 1 tablespoon of the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion; cook 5 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add the wine and cook, stirring frequently, until absorbed. Add the broth, ½ cup at a time, stirring occasionally and waiting until it’s absorbed before adding more. This should take about 30 minutes. The rice should be tender but still slightly firm.
- Meanwhile, about 5 minutes before the risotto is done, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the radicchio and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the radicchio is browned and slightly wilted, about 5 minutes. Add the oregano (if desired), vinegar, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Transfer to a plate.
- Remove the risotto from heat and stir in the Parmesan, remaining salt, and pepper. Cover to keep warm.
- Wipe out the skillet, return to medium heat, and heat the remaining oil. Add the bread crumbs and cook until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Spoon the risotto into individual bowls and top with the radicchio and bread crumbs.