Rhubarb-Strawberry Pie (Reader Recipe From Melanie Scherenzel)
Serves 8| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 2 pounds rhubarb, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 7 cups)
- 1/2 pounds strawberries, sliced (about 1 1⁄2 cups)
- 1 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 basic flaky pie crusts
- Heat oven to 375° F. In a large bowl, toss the rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, flour, orange zest, cinnamon, and salt. Lightly beat one of the eggs, add to the fruit, and toss to combine.
- Fit one of the piecrusts into a 9-inch pie plate. Fill with the fruit mixture, pressing it in firmly. Lay the second crust on top and press the edges of the crusts together to seal.
- Trim the crust to a 1-inch overhang, fold the overhang underneath itself, and crimp. In a small bowl, beat the remaining egg with 1 teaspoon water and brush over the crust. Sprinkle with sugar and cut vents in the top.
- Place the pie on a foil-lined baking sheet and bake until the fruit mixture is bubbling and the crust is golden brown, 1¼ to 1½ hours. Let cool for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Per Serving
- Calories 392
- Fat 16g
- Sat Fat 6g
- Cholesterol 63mg
- Sodium 251mg
- Protein 5g
- Carbohydrate 60g
- Sugar 29g
- Fiber 2g
- Iron 1mg
- Calcium 86mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .