- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 scallions, sliced, white and green parts separated
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- kosher salt and black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the scallion whites and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring often, until the grains are opaque, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the broth, tomato sauce, chili powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook, covered, until the rice is tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove the rice from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and fold in the scallion greens before serving.