Red Bean Chili
Serves 6-8| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 2 to 2 1/4 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 14 1/2-ounce cans vegetable or beef broth
- 1/3 cup chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 15 1/2-ounce cans kidney beans, drained
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- optional toppings and sides: grated Cheddar, sour cream, minced jalapeño, corn bread
- Place a large Dutch oven or saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the onion, stirring well, and cook until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Gradually add the broth, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the Dutch oven; bring to a boil.
- Stir in the chili powder, cumin, and tomatoes. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the beans, salt, and vinegar, stirring well. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes more.
- Serve with the Cheddar, sour cream, jalapeño, and corn bread, if desired.
- Per Serving
- Calories 571Calories From Fat 199
- Fat 22g
- Sat Fat 8g
- Cholesterol 137mg
- Sodium 2,132mg
- Protein 56g
- Carbohydrate 34g
- Sugar 7g
- Fiber 12g
- Iron 9mg
- Calcium 153mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
This chili can be refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 3 months.