Makes 48 cookies| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 8-ounce bar cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled, plus more for the work surface
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cups walnuts
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 1 large egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- With an electric mixer, beat the butter, cream cheese, vanilla, and ⅓ cup of the sugar at medium speed until creamy, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce the mixer speed to low and gradually add the flour and salt, mixing just until combined (do not overmix).
- Form the dough into 4 disks and wrap in plastic. Chill until firm, at least 2 hours and up to 2 days.
- Heat oven to 325° F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment. In a food processor, combine the walnuts, cinnamon, and the remaining ⅔ cup sugar and process until the nuts are finely ground. Reserve ½ cup of the nut mixture for the tops of the cookies; transfer the remainder to a small bowl for the filling.
- Working with 1 disk at a time (keep the remaining disks chilled), on a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to form a 9-inch round. Spread it with 2 tablespoons of the jam and sprinkle with ¼ of the walnut mixture in the bowl. Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut the round into 12 equal wedges. Roll up each wedge, starting at the outer edge. Place the cookies on the prepared baking sheets, spacing them 2 inches apart. Brush with the egg mixture and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of the reserved nut mixture.
- Bake the cookies, rotating the baking sheets halfway through, until golden, 30 to 35 minutes. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Storage suggestion: Store the rugelach at room temperature, between sheets of wax paper in an airtight container, for up to 5 days.
- Per ServingServing Size: 1 cookie
- Calories 112
- Fat 7g
- Sat Fat 4g
- Cholesterol 20mg
- Sodium 36mg
- Protein 1g
- Carbohydrate 11g
- Sugar 6g
- Fiber 0g
- Iron 0mg
- Calcium 9mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .