- 2cups quinoa, rinsed
- 1/2cup olive oil
- 3 small sweet potatoes (about 11/2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 2 bunches kale (1 1/4 pounds), thick stems removed and leaves cut into bite-size pieces (about 14 cups)
- pesto and toasted walnuts, for serving
- Cook the quinoa according to the package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the sweet potatoes, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper and cook, covered, tossing occasionally, until the potatoes begin to brown and soften, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the onion to the pot and cook, tossing occasionally, until the sweet potatoes and onion are tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Add as much kale to the pot as will fit and cook, tossing frequently and adding more kale when there is room, until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Reserve half the quinoa and vegetables for tomorrow’s dinner. Serve the remaining vegetables over the remaining quinoa, topped with the pesto and walnuts.
- Reheat and serve: Microwave the quinoa and vegetables in a microwave-safe dish covered with a damp paper towel on high for 2 to 3 minutes, tossing halfway through.