Quinoa With Mushrooms, Kale, and Sweet Potatoes
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small sweet potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 10 ounces button mushrooms, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch kale, stems discarded and leaves torn into 2-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan (1 ounce)
- Place the quinoa and 2 cups water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until water is absorbed, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the sweet potatoes and mushrooms and cook, tossing occasionally, until golden and beginning to soften, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the kale, wine, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cook, tossing often, until the vegetables are tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Serve the vegetables over the quinoa and sprinkle with the Parmesan.
- Per Serving
- Calories 361
- Fat 12g
- Sat Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 5mg
- Sodium 560mg
- Protein 13g
- Carbohydrate 51g
- Fiber 6g
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Look for small to medium-size sweet potatoes, which are sweet and creamy. (Large ones tend to be starchier.) The skin should be firm, smooth, and even-toned.