Pumpkin With White Beans and Bacon
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 small sugar pumpkin (about 1 1/2 pounds)—peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 15.5-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon; let cool, then break into pieces. Reserve the skillet.
- Add the pumpkin to the drippings in the skillet; cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the broth, oregano, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the pumpkin is tender, 6 to 8 minutes more. Add the beans and vinegar and heat through, 2 minutes. Top with the bacon.
- Per Serving
- Calories 149
- Fat 5g
- Sat Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 10mg
- Sodium 502mg
- Protein 7g
- Carbohydrate 19g
- Sugar 3g
- Fiber 3g
- Iron 2mg
- Calcium 59mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Don’t throw out those pumpkin seeds. Toss them with a little oil, salt, and pepper and roast in a 300° F oven until dry, about 1 hour. Add a pinch of cayenne or chili powder for a little kick.