Creamy Pumpkin Soup
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 3-pound sugar pumpkin or 3 pounds kabocha or butternut squash—peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 4 leeks (white and light green parts only), chopped
- 4 to 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- sour cream, croutons, and paprika (preferably smoked), for serving
- Heat oven to 400° F. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the pumpkin with 3 tablespoons of the oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Roast, tossing once, until tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the leeks and cook, stirring frequently, until tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the roasted pumpkin, 4 cups of the broth, and ½ teaspoon salt and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- In a blender, working in batches, puree the soup until smooth, adjusting the consistency with the remaining broth as necessary. (Alternatively, use a handheld immersion blender in the saucepan.) Top the soup with the sour cream and croutons and sprinkle with the paprika, if desired.
- Per Serving
- Calories 324
- Fat 18g
- Sat Fat 3g
- Cholesterol 6mg
- Sodium 677mg
- Protein 10g
- Carbohydrate 36g
- Sugar 9g
- Fiber 3g
- Iron 5mg
- Calcium 125mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .