Pumpkin Doughnuts With Sour Cream Icing
Makes 12 doughnuts| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- Pumpkin doughnuts:
- 1/2 cup canola oil, plus more for the pans
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup pure pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Sour cream icing:
- 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- orange sprinkles (optional)
- Heat oven to 350° F. Lightly oil two 6-compartment doughnut pans* (or use 1 pan and bake in batches). Whisk together the flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, salt, and baking soda in a medium bowl; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, granulated sugar, brown sugar, oil, egg, and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined (do not overmix).
- Spoon ¼ cup batter into each compartment of the prepared pans. Bake until the doughnuts are golden brown and spring back lightly when touched, 12 to 14 minutes. Let cool in the pans for 15 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the confectioners’ sugar, sour cream, and lemon juice in a small bowl. Drizzle over the doughnuts.
Scatter on the sprinkles, if desired. Let set before serving.
*You can find doughnut pans ($8 to $20 each) online, in cookware stores, and in some supermarkets. They’re about the size of a muffin tin.
- Per Serving
- Calories 271
- Fat 11g
- Sat Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 19mg
- Sodium 202mg
- Protein 3g
- Carbohydrate 40g
- Sugar 25g
- Fiber 1g
- Iron 1mg
- Calcium 24mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
You can also bake this recipe in a lightly oiled 8½-by-4½-inch loaf pan in a 350° F oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 55 to 60 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool fully before icing.