- 1/2cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for the pan, at room temperature
- 1cup all-purpose flour, plus more for your fingers
- 1/4teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2cup sugar, plus 1 1/2 tablespoons
- 1 large egg
- 2 to 3 Bosc pears, peeled, halved, and cored
- 1 1/2teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4cup apricot jam
- 1tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- whipped cream (optional)
- Heat oven to 350° F.
- Butter a 14-inch rectangular tart pan and set aside.
- Combine the flour and baking powder in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and 1/2 cup sugar at high speed in a large bowl. Lower speed to medium, add the egg, and beat until incorporated. Gradually add the flour mixture until fully incorporated. The dough will be very soft.
- Push the dough into the pan with floured fingers to form an even crust. Arrange the pear halves, top to bottom, cut-side down. Sprinkle with the cinnamon and the remaining sugar. Bake until the crust is golden brown, about 45 minutes; let cool.
- Heat the apricot jam and lemon juice in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, mixing until combined. Remove from heat and brush gently over the entire tart. Serve with the whipped cream, if desired.