Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 head Savoy cabbage, shredded
- 3 scallions, trimmed and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- kosher salt
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 3 dried bay leaves
- Heat the oil and butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the cabbage, scallions, garlic, and ½ teaspoon salt. Cook until the cabbage is slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Remove ⅓ cup of the cabbage and set aside.
- Add the broth, potatoes, and bay leaves. Simmer, covered, until the potatoes and cabbage are tender, about 15 minutes. Discard the bay leaves.
- Using a blender, puree the soup until smooth. Before serving, sprinkle the soup with the reserved cabbage.
- Per Serving
- Calories 207
- Calcium 114mg
- Carbohydrate 32g
- Cholesterol 8mg
- Fat 7g
- Fiber 10g
- Iron 2mg
- Protein 9mg
- Sat Fat 2g
- Sodium 745mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Make it a meal: Serve with lemony sugar snap peas with avocado. Toss 1 sliced avocado and ¼ pound raw sugar snap peas with ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard, 1 tablespoon each lemon juice and olive oil, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ⅛ teaspoon pepper.