- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 head Savoy cabbage, shredded
- 3 scallions, trimmed and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- kosher salt
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 3 dried bay leaves
- Heat the oil and butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the cabbage, scallions, garlic, and ½ teaspoon salt. Cook until the cabbage is slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Remove ⅓ cup of the cabbage and set aside.
- Add the broth, potatoes, and bay leaves. Simmer, covered, until the potatoes and cabbage are tender, about 15 minutes. Discard the bay leaves.
- Using a blender, puree the soup until smooth. Before serving, sprinkle the soup with the reserved cabbage.