Slow-Cooker Classic Pot Roast
Serves 6| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 pound carrots—peeled, cut into 2-inch pieces, and halved lengthwise if thick
- 1 pound baby potatoes (about 15)
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/2-inch wedges (root end left intact)
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 3-pound beef chuck roast, tied
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, whisk together the tomato paste, cornstarch, and 1 cup water. Add the carrots, potatoes, onion, celery, and bay leaves and toss to combine. Season the beef with 1½ teaspoons salt and ½ teaspoon pepper and set on top of the vegetables.
- Cover and cook until tender, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours (this will shorten total recipe time). Let the meat rest for 10 minutes before discarding the kitchen twine and slicing the meat across the grain. Serve with the vegetables and cooking liquid and sprinkle with the parsley.
- Per Serving
- Calories 408
- Fat 10g
- Sat Fat 4g
- Cholesterol 95mg
- Sodium 625mg
- Protein 50g
- Carbohydrate 27g
- Sugar 5g
- Fiber 4g
- Iron 5mg
- Calcium 56mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Tying the roast helps to keep its shape during cooking. If your roast does not come tied, use several pieces of kitchen twine and tie them perpendicular to the grain, spaced about 1 inch apart.