Pork Chops and Mashed Potatoes
Serves 6| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold or russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk or whole milk
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 boneless pork chops (3/4 inch thick)
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds button mushrooms, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 lemon, cut into 6 wedges
- 3 small hearts of romaine, halved
- Place the potatoes in a pot. Add cold water to cover; bring to a boil. Add 1 teaspoon salt, reduce heat, and simmer until tender, 15 to 18 minutes. Drain and return potatoes to the pot. Add the buttermilk, 4 tablespoons butter, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and nutmeg. Mash. Set aside, keeping warm.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Season the pork with 1 ½ teaspoons salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, and paprika. Cook until browned, 3 minutes per side.
- Cover skillet, reduce heat to medium, and cook until cooked through, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the remaining butter in another skillet over medium heat. Add onion the and garlic; cook until softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until they release their liquid and begin to brown, about 8 minutes. Add the wine, thyme, and zest; simmer until liquid has nearly evaporated, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the broth, cream, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until sauce lightly coats the back of a spoon. Serve with the pork, mashed potatoes, lemon wedges, and romaine.
- Per Serving
- Calories 673Calories From Fat 321
- Fat 36g
- Sat Fat 19g
- Cholesterol 143mg
- Sodium 1,223mg
- Protein 35g
- Carbohydrate 52g
- Sugar 6g
- Fiber 5g
- Iron 4mg
- Calcium 145mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .