- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 4 pineapple slices (fresh or canned), 1/4 inch thick
- 2 hamburger buns, split
- vanilla ice cream (optional)
- Heat oven to 350° F.
- In a large ovenproof skillet, over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the sugar and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute for caramel sauce. Remove from heat.
- Arrange the pineapple slices in a single layer in the skillet. Top each slice with a bun half, cut-side down. Transfer to oven and bake for 30 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- With a spatula, invert each cake onto an individual plate and spoon any remaining caramel sauce over the top. Serve with the ice cream (if using).