- 1cup long-grain white rice
- 2tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2cups cabbage, thinly shredded
- 3/4pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 15.5-ounce can pineapple chunks
- 1tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 3tablespoons seasoned rice wine (sushi) vinegar
- 1/2to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/3cup slivered fresh basil or cilantro leaves
- Place the rice and 1½ cups water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir, reduce heat to low, cover with a tight-fitting lid, and cook 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat. Leave covered and allow the rice to continue steaming for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cabbage and stir-fry until the cabbage is almost fully cooked.
- Add the shrimp and pineapple and stir-fry 1 to 2 minutes longer, until the shrimp turn bright pink. Remove from heat.
- Mix together the soy sauce, vinegar, and red pepper and pour over the shrimp.
- Stir the scallions and basil into the rice. Top with the shrimp-pineapple mixture and serve.