- 3/4 pound pasta shells or another short pasta
- 3 cups fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan (2 ounces), plus more for serving
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 pound Italian sausage, casings removed
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions, reserving ½ cup of the cooking water; drain the pasta and return it to the pot.
- Pulse together the parsley, pecans, Parmesan, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper in a food processor until finely chopped. With the machine running, add 5 tablespoons of the oil and process until smooth.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until browned, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the pesto, sausage, and ¼ cup of the reserved cooking water to the pasta and toss to coat (adding more cooking water as needed to loosen the sauce). Sprinkle with Parmesan.