1-pound New York or sirloin steaks
coarsely ground black pepper
radishes, trimmed and thinly sliced
cucumber (peeled, if desired), chopped
head butter lettuce, torn into pieces
- Pat the steaks dry with paper towels. Season with 2 teaspoons of the salt and 3 teaspoons of the pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the steaks and cook to desired doneness, 5 to 6 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let rest for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar and the remaining olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine the radishes, cucumber, and lettuce with the vinaigrette. Slice the steak and serve with the salad.